History of our congregation and building

1772

A group of Scots-Irish Presbyterians emigrated from Ireland to South Carolina, fleeing religious persecution from Catholic King Charles. One of their ships was named the Hopewell.

1806-1807

Because of their opposition to slavery, several families in the Associated Reformed Presbyterian Church moved to Israel Township, OH from South Carolina & Kentucky.

1808

The first Hopewell Church building was constructed out of logs at the site of the current Hopewell church. The church was pastored by traveling ministers during this period.

1814

Reverend Alexander Porter was called as the first full time minister of the Hopewell Associated Reformed Presbyterian Church.

1825

A new Hopewell church building, made of bricks, was constructed. This church still stands today.

Mid-1800's

Several members of the Hopewell church were active in the Underground Railroad, which passed through the Fairhaven area.

1834

Due to significant growth in the Hopewell congregation, reaching 400 adult members, a group of 50 households in the northern part of the township split off, built a new church in Fairhaven, and called Jeremiah Morrow as their first minister.

1847

Reverend John Scouller, the third minister of the Fairhaven Associated Reformed Presbyterian Church, began his 50 year tenure as minister.

1858

The Associated Reformed Presbyterian denomination merged with the Associated Presbyterian Church, forming the United Presbyterian Church. This action made Fairhaven a UPC church.

1867

The Fairhaven church building was torn down and replaced due to structural problems in the end walls. This new building still stands today as the church sanctuary.

1897

Reverend Scouller ends his five-decade long ministry as pastor of the church.

1912

The congregation purchased their first organ to be used in worship services.

Church services were cancelled for several weeks due to the widespread Spanish influenza epidemic.

1919

The first Vacation Bible school was held in the Fairhaven schoolhouse, in cooperation with the Fairhaven Methodist Church.

1925
1957

The first annex was built onto the church, providing a kitchen, modern restrooms, and an assembly room.

1981
1996

Under the leadership of Reverend Robert Demass, and due to a departure from biblical teaching on the part of the denomination, the church voted to leave the United Presbyterian Church and become an independent church.

1985-1987

During these years the sanctuary was redecorated and the addition to the annex was built, adding several classrooms and a Pastor's office.

1970's

The annual summer church retreat was started. Families would camp in Hueston Woods for the weekend, enjoying fellowship and Bible messages from guest speakers.

1990's

The elder's published a statement that the church would no longer practice infant baptism but would now subscribe to and practice believer's baptism.

The church youth group began taking regular mission trips to various areas around the country.

1998

Church members were heavily involved in the project to restore the Historic Hopewell Church building.

2005

The sanctuary interior was remodeled and a covenant of rededication was signed by members of the congregation.

2007

The Church Constitution was revised and the commitment of the congregation to the biblical mandate of male elders and pastors was reaffirmed.

2008

The church drama ministries directed by Pastor Rich Studebaker were begun.

2009

The church parking lot was enlarged by expanding it to the north.

2020

Church services were once again cancelled for several weeks during the initial stage of the COVID-19 pandemic.

18th century sailing ship

Hopewell Church

Sources:

The History of the Fairhaven Community Church Congregation 1834-1984. P. DeMass et al.

Celebrating 175 Years: Fairhaven Community Church 1834-2009. History from 1984-2009. M. Hays et al.

Notes from the History of Fairhaven Community Church. 2016. R. Simpson, J. Charles, & M. McCampbell.

1984 Retreat